CAVITE – The Philippine Navy on Friday disarmed the country’s two oldest warships, BRP Miguel Malvar and BRP Magat Salamat, at Captain Salvo Pier, Heracleo Naval Base in Cavite City.
The Commanding Officer, Vice Admiral Adeluis Bordado, said the withdrawal of the old ships would pave the way for incoming platforms in accordance with the Philippines’ modernization program.
“Building a modern and versatile navy for the defense and development of the country is a slow and gradual process. And decommissioning our legacy assets is a necessary part of this transition process, ”Bordado said.
“From every end comes a new beginning,” he added.
Among the oldest warships in the world, the BRP Miguel Malvar and the BRP Magat Salamat were originally built for the United States Navy during World War II in the 1940s, but were acquired by the country in April. 1976 via Vietnam, where they were first reused for a decade.
The two ships were at sea for a total of 77 years, including 44 years (and 10 months) in service for the Philippines following the fall of Saigon.
“Ito naman ginamit natin in secessionist Mindanao, by establishing an armed presence everywhere in our territory. Gamit na gamit naman talaga ito. Itong dalawang barko na ito’y takbo nang takbo, ”said Philippine Fleet Commander, Rear Admiral Alberto Carlos.
The Philippine Navy also decommissioned 4 other ships earlier this year.
“The range, we have two frigates and recently we got funding for six OPV (offshore patrol vessels); and the rapid attack interdictor device is being built in Israel and we will get delivery at the end of next year siguro, ”Carlos said.